Wednesday, November 19, 2014

November 17, 2014

Greetings!
 
Is it really Monday again? The time went by so fast this week. We managed to stay pretty busy doing service for our recent converts (ironing curtains and playing with play-dough with an 8 year old), teaching 8 year olds and preparing them for their baptism, and preparing for zone conference!
 
I'm not quite sure what you wanted the missionaries to learn from Zone Conference, but I left so pumped to go out and work! The Spirit was the teacher there. I think this was the best zone conference that I have ever been to. All the trainings were inspired and I want to make family history a bigger part of my work. We're changing the way we plan to incorporate what we were asked to do, and I'm more focused on my purpose than I have ever been. I feel I went up to the next level in my missionary work. It's really cool actually! I really think our purpose was driven in deep... Hopefully good things will come as we apply the things we learned. My group's training went really well! Between golf clubs and physics, we hopefully were able to teach how to make online proselyting effective and a powerful tool in our work. President liked it, so I think it was a success. :)
 
The Phoenix Temple Dedication was AMAZING!!!!!!! I cannot begin to express how grateful I am that I've been able to experience TWO temple dedications on my mission. If I thought I loved the temple before, I saw nothing of what I would experience after watching the dedication sessions. I learned that our vision of inviting others to come unto Christ needs to lead them to the temple, not just the font. The whole purpose for us coming to earth was to gain a body, have experiences that would make us learn, and to be obedient to the commandments of the gospel and receive all the ordinances that are also associated with it. THAT is why we do missionary work. It's to unite God's children and be together in the Celestial kingdom. I got that before, but now it's a part of who I am. I just wish the members would understand that. Attending the temple is more than just something we do. It needs to become a part of who we are. If we understand why we even have temples in the first place then we'll attend more and have a vision and goals to help others around us to get there. That's another reason why family history is so important. As people do their family history the Spirit of Elijah comes and bears witness of the divine nature of the family and helps them care for the eternal welfare of others! I could just keep going on and on and on. I love the temple. I want it to become more of who I am than what I do. I hope to be able to help others understand that as well and use family history as a finding method in our area. 
 
I'm so excited for the Christmas season to start!!!!!!!! We worked hard on Saturday handing out Christmas lights invitations to people we saw on the streets and we're making a goal with our ward mission leader in Stonebridge to make these invitations an effective missionary tool. We're definitely not going to just put them next to the programs for sacrament meeting. We're creating a plan that's going to be super effective... :) The church is coming out with initiatives similar to Easter. There's going to be a video called "He is the gift." So be on the lookout on social media channels to watch this video and share it with EVERYONE!!! These initiatives that the church is coming out with is genius! Good things are going to happen because of these wonderful tools that we're being blessed with! Whenever we visit with members and we get to discuss Christmas, I always make it a point to teach about the real meaning for Christmas and emphasize that we are celebrating the birth of our Savior! Focusing on the fact that if this event never happened, we would have no Savior, no Atonement, no hope for life after this. Go Christmas!!!
 
The Word of Wisdom and it's promises are real. Seriously. Live it exactly and see the blessings and miracles that follow. So training for our 5K has sucked. Who ever thought that running for 30 minutes straight was fun?? A crazy person, that's who. But I wanted to run the entire thing and made it my goal. This past week for running has been rough. I couldn't seem to break running for more than 25 minutes. Once I reached that time my body would shut down and I couldn't run any more. It was really discouraging! One morning I was sitting on our couch thinking about just running for that time and walking the rest. Then I remembered that the Word of Wisdom has a powerful blessing associated with it if you are obedient... "[you] shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." I thought to my self "God always keeps his promises. Why not this one?" So I made a plan to eat exactly what the Word of Wisdom teaches (within my control of course... I can't control the enchiladas the members make for dinner) and took it to Heavenly Father in prayer. Guess what!? It worked! After a few days of eating better, the next time we ran I went for 28 minutes and could have kept going for another 5. The word of Wisdom is real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen. 
 
-Sister Dunn
 

No comments:

Post a Comment