Monday, August 26, 2013

August 26, 2013

Hello!
 
The past couple weeks have been absolutely crazy. So here's what's happening. I'M GETTING TRANSFERRED!! HUZZAH! I am so happy to be going to a new area and getting a new trainer. I'm being transferred to Citrus Heights. That's where I day trained and it's like 2 minutes away from the mission office. My companion is Sister Clemens. She's quite fantastic.  I'll be living with members again.  I'm super excited to be going to a new area and getting a new trainer. Sister West is staying, but is losing Cooper and Emerald Acres ward but is keeping Lazona and getting Solomon wards.
 

But I'm sad to be leaving my area. We just found an amazing investigator named Jose in Cooper Ward. So we got a referral from Church Headquarters Wednesday night. The referral said he had been taught by missionaries in North Carolina and had a baptismal date of August 24th. Sister West and I were so surprised because it was surprising! We texted him and set up an appointment the next day. When we met him, we didn't know how old he was or even his last name! We were going in pretty blind. When we met him, we discovered that he's in high school (he's 19 and a super senior), loves soccer, and is so ready to be baptized! His story of how he came into the church was an interesting one. While in North Carolina, he approached the missionaries and said he wanted to learn more because he had been reading the Book of Mormon on his own. He started taking the lessons but had to return to Mesa. So he was referred to us. He's currently enrolled in seminary (something he did on his own) and is coming to church. When we met him we had two prospective missionaries with us who are Jose's age (OT and Zach). They are insta-friends. :) Jose was really concerned that he wasn't prepared enough for baptism so we went over the baptismal interview questions with him and we feel he's ready and we let him know that! He committed to September 21 for his baptism date because on the 26th he's giving a devotional in seminary and he thought it would be cool to have it be about his baptism. But he doesn't have a supportive family. They recognize that he is old enough to make his own decisions but they won't be happy about it. When he was explaining that to us, I received inspiration to give a commitment to have him read the Book of Mormon out loud in a place in his home where his family can hear him. Even though they may not accept the gospel, their hearts will be softened and accept him accepting the gospel. When I extended that commitment, I remember how nervous I was because I hadn't given a commitment like that before and I honestly didn't know what would happen. But I got over my fear and told him what the Spirit was telling me to say. I remember how powerful the Spirit was and I know that he felt that. Even though I'm leaving him, the missionaries who are assigned to that area are lucky to have such a prepared son of God. I feel honored to have met him!

 
The past week has definitely been amazing and full of miracles and blessings. I know there's more to come!
 
Love, Sister Dunn
 

Another amazing sunset in Mesa
A game at a Lazona Ward party. This is the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment